Whether you are applying to WSU, or already a student, the office of Student Financial Services is committed to connecting you with different financial aid opportunities. Our office understands the challenges that first-generation, low-income, and undocumented students face. We are pleased to connect you with the resources that are available.

We welcome you to browse through the pages below and learn more about the types of financial aid you may qualify for, as well as how Student Financial Services can be a resource to you.

HB-1079 Students

What does House Bill (HB)-1079 do? 

On May 7, 2003, House Bill (HB)-1079 was signed into law by Governor Gary Locke. This law allows students who have lived in Washington State for three years or more to be considered “residents” but only for purposes of paying tuition fees at Washington colleges and universities. HB-1079 does not change a student’s legal citizenship status. The new law means that HB-1079 students qualify to pay tuition rates that all other resident students pay. To qualify, students must have:

  • Earned a high school diploma or equivalent (GED) from a Washington State high school.
  • Lived in Washington State for three years prior to receiving a high school diploma or GED.
  • Lived continually in Washington since earning the high school diploma or GED, and can meet college or university admission requirements expected of all other students.

The Affidavit that HB-1079 Students are required to sign is a confidential statement verifying that he/she qualifies to pay resident tuition, and that he/she will seek legal permanent residency when legally permitted to do so. If an affidavits not provided or available, the 1079 Student should ask a trusted relative, friend, teacher, or counselor to request it from the institution he/she plans to attend, or the Affidavit is available on our website Here.

To enroll in WSU a student must go through the following steps:

  1. Complete the Admission and Scholarship applications by the January 31st deadline.
  2. Fill out, sign and submit the Affidavit to the Office of the Registrar at WSU.

Hope Act SB-6523

In February of 2014, the Washington State Legislature signed a law that allows eligible students (HB-1079 and qualifying DACA students) to apply for and possibly receive the Washington State Need Grant (WSNG). The Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) released a financial aid application called the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA). This form allows for undocumented students such as HB-1079 and WA DACA who cannot file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for financial aid. The student's legal status DOES NOT change.

How to Apply
Types of Financial Aid available

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals 

On June 15, 2012, the Obama Administration announced that certain people who came to the United States as children and meet several key guidelines may request consideration of deferred action for a period of 2 years, subject to renewal, and would then be eligible for work authorization.  

Deferred action means that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) agrees not to start deportation proceedings against an individual. If an individual is currently in the process of deportation, DHS agrees to drop their demand for deportation. This policy is called Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA. 

Once deferred action is granted, people may seek employment authorization, but it does not grant any kind of permanent residence, citizenship status, or amnesty. Also, until an individual is granted deferred action, DHS may initiate deportation proceedings at any point of the application process. 

You may qualify for DACA if you:
  •  Are under the age of 31 as of June 15,2015;
  • Came to the United State before reaching your 16th birthday;
  • Have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2017 to present;
  • Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making your request for consideration of deferred action with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services;
  • Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a state-recognized high school equivalency certificate, or are an honorable discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States and 
  • Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, or three or more other misdemeanors, and does not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.  

To request a DACA for the first time, Click Here
Need help paying your application fee? Click Here to learn about the DACA Lending Circle


DACA In-State
DACA Out-of-State
DACA Renewal
Below you will find different resources that can be found within Washington State University, click on their title to learn more. 

Student Financial Services

The WSU Office of Student Financial Services (SFS) is committed to assisting students in financing their college education. To connect with our office you can call us at (509) 335-9711 or email at financialaid@wsu.edu.

We also have Student Financial Service staff located at the following WSU locations. Click the campus link for more information. 

Crimson Achievement Pathway Team

The Crimson Group is a support group for all "dreamers" who wish to learn, lead, and advocate. Through this group students have the opportunity to gain skills and resources to be successful in and out of the university setting while creating relationship and memories with all of their fellow Coug "dreamers".

WSU Admissions

Learn more about the WSU application process, deadlines or WSU general information.

La Bienvenida 

La Bienvenida es un programa completamente en Español, diseñado para ayudar a los padres de familia a establecer conexión con los recursos de Washington State University. Si usted habla Español, la Bienvenida es el programa al que debe asistir.

Multicultural Student Services

MSS seeks to facilitate the best undergraduate experience for multicultural, first generation, and other underrepresented students through the provision or culturally relevant services to enhance their learning and development and foster their successful transition, adjustment, persistence, achievement and graduation. 

Smart Start

The Smart Start Program (SSP) is a retention initiative under the guidance and support of the Office of Multicultural Student Services. SSP works to facilitate the successful transition and retention of students whom are first in their family to attend and graduate from a four-year university, during their first year on campus. 

Student Support Services

Student Support Services (SSS) is a federally-funded TRiO program that provides opportunities for academic development, assists students in meeting basic college requirements, and serves to motivate students towards the successful completion of their post-secondary education. 

Access Center

The Access Center provides accommodations and services to incoming and current WSU students with disabilities, psychological or medical conditions, or temporary injuries that limit heir access to the educational environment. 

Office of Equal Opportunity

Office for Equal Opportunity is WSU's central intake office for complaints of Discrimination, Discriminatory Harassment, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Misconduct.

Women's Resource Center 

The Women's Resource Center develops programs to celebrate women's diversity and contributions, while actively confronting societal challenged and obstacles through activism and working for change. 

Cultural and Heritage Houses

The Cultural and Heritage Houses create a comfortable learning environment that fosters inclusion and intercultural understanding for university personnel and the larger community.

Office of Student Conduct 

The WSU Office of Student Conduct fosters a developmental approach to student conduct, provides support and guidance to the University community and promotes WSU values and expectations.

International Programs

Coming to WSU. Traveling from WSU. On Campus!

Help with Library Resources

Pullman Community Action Center

Scholarships, Grants, and Fellowships that Accept Applications from Non-US Citizens

This carefully researched list contains 25 pages of up-to-date information about scholarships available for students that don't contain criteria regarding U.S. citizenship or legal permanent residency, as well as advice and tips for writing winning scholarship applications.

Scholarship List for Undocumented Students 

Review this document from the Beyond HB-1079 Conference for a list of scholarships for undocumented students in the state of Washington. 

Equity Map

Not sure what resource to use? Contact the Crimson Achievement Pathways Team Here.