Washington State University

Student Financial Services

Policy for Aid Adjustments When Canceling Enrollment

Financial aid (federal/state/institutional/private) is awarded to you under the assumption that you will attend school for the entire term. When you withdraw, you may no longer be eligible for the full amount of funds that you originally were scheduled to receive. Canceling enrollment or dropping classes may have an impact on your academic progress. For information on Satisfactory Academic Progress policies please refer to our SAP web page located here.

Please note: rules for adjusting your student financial aid program funds when you withdraw are not the same rules that apply to the WSU tuition and fee refund policy. WSU’s tuition refund policy and the requirements and procedures for officially withdrawing from WSU may be found on the Registrar's web site located here.

The Official Worksheet for Return of Title IV funds (federal aid) is located here.

Federal Aid Adjustments - When you withdraw from school

If as a recipient of federal financial aid funds you withdraw from school prior to the 60% point of the term, the amount of the financial aid you earned must be determined. All unearned federal aid, or a portion of the unearned federal aid, must be returned (canceled from your account). The earned and unearned aid is determined by a daily prorated ratio. Basically, if you canceled enrollment at the 20% point of the term, you earned 20% of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. Eighty percent of the amount of unearned federal aid, or a portion of the 80% of unearned aid will be returned (canceled from your account). Once you have completed more than 60% of the term, you have earned all the federal assistance that you were scheduled to receive.

The calculation for the amount of Federal financial aid to return (cancel from your aid) is based on the lesser amount of:
Institutional charges
Mandatory fees
Special course fees
Housing charges (if you live on campus)


Federal Aid awarded
Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
Subsidized Stafford Loan
Perkins Loan
Parent or Grad PLUS Loan
Pell Grant
ACG or SMART Grant
Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants (SEOG)

The lesser amount of the institutional charges or federal aid awarded is then multiplied by a daily prorated ratio based on your certified date of withdrawal. The result is the amount of aid to be returned.


Institutional Charges
Full Time Tuition $3,800
Rec. Center Fee 144
Health Fee 130
Stadium Renovation Fee 25
Transit Fee 25
Special Course Fees 20
On Campus Housing 3,000
     Total $7,144

Financial Aid Awarded
Sub Stafford Loan $2,750
Unsub Stafford 1,818
Perkins Loan 1,000
Pell Grant 2,155
     Total $7,773

Since the total institutional charges are less than the total financial aid awarded, the cancellation of aid will be calculated using the $7,144 because it is less than the Federal Aid Awarded of $7,773.

If your certified date of withdrawal is half way through the term, $7,144 would be multiplied by 0.500 to calculate $3,572 to cancel from your Federal Aid funds. Federal Financial aid funds must be returned in the following order: 

1. Unsub Stafford Loan
2. Subsidized Stafford Loan
3. Perkins Loan
4. Parent or Grad PLUS Loan
5. Pell Grant
6. ACG or SMART Grant
7. Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants (SEOG)
8. TEACH Grant

For the example, the entire $1,818 Unsub Stafford Loan would be returned to the lender (canceled from your account) as well as $1,754 of the $2,750 Subsidized Stafford Loan. Therefore $1,818 + $1,754 = $3,572 is the amount of aid to be returned (canceled from your account).

Charges, Credits, and Post Withdrawal Loan Offers

If a charge is created after your account has been adjusted, WSU will send you a bill. If a credit results after all adjustments are made, your account will be credited for the difference. WSU will send a check or direct deposit the credit amount to your bank account. You may be eligible for what is called a “post withdrawal disbursement”. This occurs if you were eligible to receive Federal Aid that was not disbursed to you prior to your withdrawal. If you are eligible for post withdrawal Federal Grant funds, those funds for which you were eligible will be credited to your account. If you are eligible for post withdrawal Federal Loan funds, you will have the opportunity to accept or reject a portion of those loans.

Non-Federal Aid Adjustments - When you withdraw from school

State Need Grant and Educational Opportunity Grant are prorated by the day and 50% of the unearned amount is canceled. If enrollment is canceled after the 50% point of the term, State Need Grant and Educational Opportunity Grant are considered 100% earned and no adjustment will be made to those types of aid.

All or a portion of Institutional Grants may be canceled without regard to the point in the term the cancellation occurred.

Contact Scholarship Services to determine how a scholarship will be canceled.

Unearned Aid - How the daily prorated percent is calculated

To calculate the daily unearned prorate percentage, subtract from 1.000 the decimal you get when you divide the number of calendar days attended (the beginning date of the term to your certified date of withdrawal) by the 108 total counted calendar days of fall or spring terms. Round to the 3rd decimal place. Both fall and spring terms are 108 calendar days in length. Nine days during week of Thanksgiving break during fall term and Spring break during spring term are excluded from the calendar days counted for the term.

If the certified date of withdrawal is 20 calendar days after the beginning of the term, the calculation would be;  1.000 – (20 days completed / 108 total days in the term ) = .815 rounded. 81.5% of the term is was not attended.

During multiple summer sessions, the total days counted include the first day of the first session attended through the last day of the last session attended. For example, if the first session attended is 5/5 through 6/13, and the 2nd session attended is 6/16 through 7/25, the total days counted for the summer term is 82 days – 40 days for the first session plus 40 days for the second session with the 2 day week-end counted between sessions.

Policy for Canceling Aid for Unofficial Withdrawals

Financial aid funds are awarded under the assumption you will attend school for the entire term. If you unofficially withdraw, you may no longer be eligible for the full amount of aid funds you were originally scheduled to receive.

Official Notification Not Provided

An unofficial withdrawal is a student who leaves a school and does not notify the school of his or her withdrawal. There are two categories of these unofficial withdrawals for purposes of this calculation.

  1. First, if the school determines that a student did not begin the withdrawal process or otherwise notify the school of the intent to withdraw due to illness, accident, grievous personal loss, or other circumstances beyond the student’s control, the withdrawal date is the date the school determines that the student ceased attendance because of the aforementioned applicable event.
  1. The second category of unofficial withdrawals encompasses all other withdrawals where official notification is not provided to the school. This rule applies only to schools that are not required to take attendance. For these withdrawals, commonly known as dropouts, the withdrawal date is the midpoint of the payment period or period of enrollment, as applicable, or the last date of an academically related activity in which the student participated.

Time Frame for the Determination of a Withdrawal Date for an Unofficial Withdrawal

For unofficial withdrawals, the withdrawal date is assumed to be the midpoint of the term. A school must process aid adjustments for unofficial withdrawals within 45 calendar days from the earlier of; (1) the end of the payment period or period of enrollment, (2) the end of the academic year, or (3) the end of the student’s educational program. 34CFR 668.22(j)(2) 

At the end of each term, the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) program will identify students (graduate or undergraduate) who did not successfully complete any courses. The Student Financial Services office will attempt to contact students who do not earn a passing grade in any course by mail and through zzusis asking for verification from an instructor of the last date of attendance at an academically related activity. Acceptable proof of academically related activities include: 

  • Examinations or quizzes
  • Tutorials
  • Computer-assisted instruction
  • Academic advising or counseling
  • Academic conferences
  • Completing an academic assignment, paper, or project
  • Attending a study group required by the institution where attendance is taken

If no proof of attendance at an academically related activity is received, 100% of all aid will be canceled. If proof of attendance at an academically related activity is submitted with a date prior to the 60% point of the term, an unofficial withdrawal date at 50% point of the term will be assumed.

In addition to federal aid adjustments for unofficial withdrawals, 50% of State Need Grant and/or Equal Opportunity Grants will be canceled.



Office Hours:
8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.

Student Financial Services, Lighty Building Room 380, Washington State University, PO Box 641068, Pullman WA 99164-1068, 509-335-9711.