As a student receiving financial aid at Washington State University, you have the following rights:
- You may decline all or any part of your financial aid award. This must be done in writing.
- You may be able to return loan proceeds within 14 days of the date of disbursement. The remaining balance on your student account must be institutional charges to be able to return loan proceeds.
- You will be notified in writing of any changes made by the Student Financial Services to your financial aid eligibility and/or your awards.
- You may request review of your financial aid award due to special or unusual circumstances that would change the Expected Family Contribution and/or the Cost of Attendance. All such requests should be submitted in writing to Student Financial Services.
- You may request a re-evaluation of any decision (except from the SAP Committee) concerning your financial aid award.
- In protection of your rights under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the staff at Student Financial Services cannot release specific information about your financial aid award to anyone over the telephone. You must present picture ID when seeking information in-person about your financial aid awards at Student Financial Services
- Students have the right to contact the Federal Student Financial Aid Ombudsman to resolve issues related to student loans. The Federal Ombudsman phone number is 1-877-557-2575.
As a student receiving financial aid at Washington State University, you have the following responsibilities:
- Be admitted by the Office of Admissions to a course of study leading to a degree or certificate.
- Report any additional resources/funding such as Veterans Education Benefits, scholarships, tuition waivers, and funding from outside agencies in writing to students financial services.
- Confirm the awarded loan amounts on the Financial Aid Award Notifications and return one copy to Student Financial Services if you wish to borrow.
- Maintain SAP. Refer to our SAP Page for more information.
- Immediately inform Washington State University of any address changes through myWSU.